Surely you’ve prepared croaker before. But you’ve never made a recipe for grilled croaker. This dish is very typical of some countries in South America, such as Uruguay. Would you like to learn how to do it?
Why grilled croaker?
While in the United States the most common when making a barbecue or barbecue is cooking meat, in countries like Uruguay prefer to make fish. Grilled sea bass is one of the most popular dishes for fishermen and chefs on the coast.
A dish that is prepared on the grill, or grilled. A tasty fish , and that well done on the grill enhances its flavor. It is a very simple recipe, so much that you do not need to have a lot of cooking knowledge to make it delicious.
Ingredients for grilled sea bass (2 people)
In Spain it is quite difficult to get wild corvina, since the one sold in supermarkets is raised in a fish farm. But if you have the opportunity, in addition to the following ingredients, you should get a fresh one.
- 2 corvinas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- Olive oil
Preparation of grilled croaker
Although you could cook it perfectly on a gas grill, to make this grilled croaker recipe we are going to use a charcoal grill. Take good note of the following steps.
- As you heat the fire of the grill and forming the embers, clean the croaker well, but do not remove the scales . If you do not know, when you buy it, tell the fishmonger to prepare it for you.
- Crush garlic cloves, after peeling, in a mortar and pestle together with a drizzle of olive oil and a spoonful of parsley . Make sure there is a very liquid mixture.
- Cut off the head of each croaker, open it on the back and bathe it with the mixture you have prepared inside, in the most meaty area . On the other hand, by the area outside, with a brush you spread it with a little extra virgin olive oil. If you do not like oil, you can use butter.
- Place, with great care, the croaker on the side of the meat on the grill . You will have to move it with caution, since it can get stuck.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes on the side of the meat, and turn it over , so that it is done on the side of the skin for another five minutes. And list! Repeat the process with the other croaker and you have a delicious dish to eat as a couple.
Tricks to make this dish without mistakes
Is it possible that you are afraid to screw up when making this delicious dish? Should not! It is quite simple as you could have seen in our grilled sea bass recipe. But if you want, we will explain some small tricks to succeed among the guests.
As you know, the calorific value of coal is very high. A little carelessness would mean you could spoil the plate completely. Therefore, in order not to fail, you should place the embers in a circle , with nothing in the center. In this way, the croaker will receive indirect fire.
Another solution would be to remove the embers on the sides, place the croaker in the center and cover the grill. Thus, the heat that the meat will receive will also be indirect. But, unfortunately, it will take more time to be done. It is a fish that, being smeared in oil or butter, becomes very fatty, and this makes it easy to stick to the grill. So be very careful when you move it.
Instead of preparing the whole fish you could prepare it by fillets or as a skewer. Bathed with a little lemon juice is delicious.